A Life of Healing and Innovation.
Dr. Constantin and Magdalena (Margie) Predeteanu
Founders of the Romanian Heritage Association at Detroit
Dr. Constantin Predeteanu was born in the small village of Olanesti, Olt, Romania on March 4 1923. He graduated from the College of Medicine in Bucharest, and was awarded his certificate in the Specialty of Endocrinology in 1958. Dr. Predeteanu practiced medicine in Romania 17 years before coming to the United States.
When he arrived in this country in 1966, he spoke no English. With help and characteristic determination, he passed the Eligibility Test for Foreign Medical Students on the same year. Upon completing in a year his internship at Harper Hospital, he became resident in Allergy at both Veteran Hospital in Detroit, Michigan and Detroit General Hospital at Wayne State University.
Dr. Herman Pinkus, Chairman of the Department at Harper, asked Dr. Predeteanu to also study Dermatology. In another year, Dr. Predeteanu received his Master of Science Degree in Dermatology. He became a Fellow of the Academy of Dermatology, Board Certified in Dermatology and Board Eligible in Allergy, licensed in Michigan, Georgia, and New York State.
In 1974, Dr. Predeteanu purchased the practice of Dr. Alice Palmer at the David Whitney building in Detroit. Within a few years, he opened another office in Troy at his Medical Condominium. As his practice grew, and his interests demanded more of his time, he consolidated his practice, working out of his Troy office, where he practice until his untimely death in 1998.
As a natural innovator, with a desire to explore new methods and better products for his patients, Dr. Predeteanu spent 20 years researching and developing skin-care products and regimes in the laboratories of Institute Predete. When his formulas met his exacting standards of excellence, Predete Derm-Care was established. He was the first in this area to offer his patients aesthetic facials, and hypoallergenic skin cleansers, moisturizers, and sun screens.
In 1987, Dr. Predeteanu published an authoritative text on cosmetics entitled, The ABC’s of Cosmetics sold all over the world. He became a recognized expert in cosmetics and their effect on the skin. In addition to his practice in Troy, he served as Clinical Assistant Professor at Wayne State University.
Dr. Predeteanu’s honors and associations include: the American Medical Association, Oakland County Medical Society, Michigan Dermatology Society, and Michigan Allergy Society. He was also a member of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery as well as the Society for Investigative Dermatology.
Magdalena Predeteanu (Marge) was born in Terre Haute, Indiana and raised in Romania until the age of 19, when she returned together with her mother, to the United States.
Marge attended Wayne State University, receiving her Bachelor of Arts Degree. During this time, she worked at a busy travel agency that handled not only travel, but insurance and real estate, as well. By age 25, she was owner and president of a travel agency.
Later, Marge received her Master Degree in Education at Wayne State University, and become a Certified Travel Agent, a licensed Insurance Agent as well as a Real Estate Agent. She enjoyed associations with Northwood University, Cranbrook Academy, Detroit Institute of Arts, and other educational and community programs.
During her trips to Romania, Marge met Dr. Predeteanu. They shared many of the same interests from the beginning and her ambition amazingly matched his. The couple married in Paris, France, in the spring of 1966. While they enjoyed arts, and travel their most enduring concerns have been for their community they love and support.
|Romanian Heritage Association Scholarship - Northwood University||Varies|
Donation(intended) of Mrs. Predeteanu's collection of Romanian artifacts to the `ASTRA` National Museum Complex, Sibiu
Located in the center of Romania, The `ASTRA` National Museum Complex is the
most important ethno-museum institution in Romania. It was created under the
auspices of the Transylvanian Association for Romanian Literature and Culture of the Romanian People– which was an institution founded in 1861. The `ASTRA` Museum – formerly known as the Association Museum - opened its first exhibition on the 19th of August, 1905.
The museum was founded out of the Transylvanian people`s desire to
define their own ethno-cultural identity within the Austro-Hungarian Empire
multiculturalism and having as background the cultural emancipation of all peoples
from the center and south-east of Europe.
Reorganized under this structure after 1990, the `ASTRA` National Museum Complex as four museum units of ethnographic profile in its structure and a department of anthropological documentary film which are sustained by the following departments: he Conservation and Restoration Department, the Educational Department, the cultural Marketing Department, the Tourist Information Center, the `Astra Museum.`
The most important museum unit is THE `ASTRA` MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL FOLK CIVILIZATION – or THE OPEN AIR MUSEUM.
Situated in the natural reservation of Dumbrava Sibiului, on the road to Rasinari village and to Paltinis ski resort, 8 kilometers away from the city centre, the Open Air Museum spreads across a 96 ha area of which an area of 40 ha is covered by the permanent exhibition which is the largest open air ethnographic exhibition in Europe.
Inaugurated in 1963 under the name of the Museum of Folk Technics, the museum currently has over 400 monuments of folk architecture and technique as well as an impressive collection of ethnographic heritage objects. The collection of mills, the wooden churches, and the traditional homesteads are very popular and very much appreciated.
The museum is divided in 6 thematic sectors, 36 thematic groups and subgroups.
Conceived as a living museum, it hosts many traditional events such as: traditional fairs, folk festivals, workshops, performances and much more. The traditional function is kept for the wooden churches where all religious ceremonies specific to Romanian tradition are regularly performed.
The exceptional natural landscape makes the open air museum adequate during both summer and winter, for educational visits, relaxing walks, drives by carriage, sleigh or sailing, according to everyone`s taste.
The museum has its own traditional inns, spaces suitable for practical lessons, a lake, a playground, over 400 parking lots and over 10 kilometers of paved alleys.
The `Franz Binder` Museum of Universal Ethnography is located in 11 Small Square, in a historical building, erected between 1865 and 1867, as residence for the Association of Small Craftsmen.
Inaugurated at 18 May 1993, it is the first and the only museum in Romania until now with the purpose to present the public various aspects belonging to the world peoples` culture, civilization and art based on its own collections and through collaborations.
The `EMIL SIGERUS` Museum of Ethnography and Saxon Folk Art, founded on the 1 of July, 1997, is located in Sibiu, 21 Small Square in a historical building known under the name `The House of Arts`. The permanent exhibition of the museum, „Transylvanian Terracotta Tiles –XV-XIX Centuries” is hosted in 12 Huet Square. The museum`s team of curators undertook a comprehensive program to rescue, conserve and recover the movable and immovable heritage objects of the traditional culture and civilization of Transylvanian Saxons, developing a program
whose coordinates are: the initiation of a ethnographical research campaign, the conservation and the research of the collections, recovery of the ethnographic Saxon heritage (but also the Austrian region of the landlers and their late colonization because of religious persecution in the XVII th century), organizing exhibitions, publishing specialized articles and studies, collection of
catalogues and advertising materials.
The `ASTRA Film` Studio is a center for documentary film and visual anthropology in Romania.
The Folk Art Galleries are exhibitions with sale, where authentic folk art objects from different parts of the country can be purchased: ceramics, wooden toys, painted icons on wood and glass, carpets, folk costumes but also other souvenirs.
The Folk Art Galleries are two shops, one located within the precincts of The `ASTRA` MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL FOLK CIVILIZATION, Sibiu, Calea Rasinari Street, the second being downtown, at the ground floor of ”The House of Art”, in Sibiu, 21 Small Square. The galleries are open from Tuesday till Sunday, between 10-18, during the summer season and between 9 -17 in the off
The traditional Inns give the visitor the opportunity to spend their holidays within the Astra Museum of Traditional Folk Civilization. The traditional restaurant Cârciuma din Bătrâni makes it possible for the tourist to taste traditional dishes in the atmosphere of a yesterday village.
The traditional Inn from Tulghes, located at the second entrance in the museum from the main road to Rasinari village, has also an excellent selection of the Romanian traditional dishes.
The Traditional Inn from Vestem is located at the third entrance from the main road to Rasinari village, which in addition to the traditional restaurant, offers three- star accommodation comfort. Next to the traditional Inn there is „Vila Diana” hostel which offers two-star accommodation comfort.
Details about the cultural-touristic offer of ASTRA National Museum Complex as well as suggestions for organizing a complete stay in the open air museum are offered at The Tourist Information Center, situated within the precincts of the open air museum, in close vicinity of the main entrance.